6 Timberland Drive
Fairbanks Alaska 99701
Monday - Thursday
7:00 AM - 4:30 PM
The FCTC's goals are to provide quality training that includes both classroom and hands-on shop lessons which ensure that our member's are the best in their craft. We provide both Carpenter and Millwright apprenticeship and journeyman skill upgrade coursework.
The Fairbanks Carpentry Joint Apprenticeship Committee Announces the opening, for application to the Carpentry Apprenticeship program. Interested persons should apply in person at the Fairbanks Carpenter Training Center to receive an application.
1. Print your name, address and phone number
2. Write a statement requesting that an application be sent to you.
3. Print your name, then sign and date the letter (please print clearly)
4. Mail request along with a check or money order in the amount of $25.00 made out to FCTC.
The employment and training of apprentices during their apprenticeship shall be without discrimination because of race, color, religion, national origin, or sex.
• 18 Years old.
• A High School Diploma or GED Equivalency.
• Must have been a resident of Alaska for at least (12) Consecutive months prior to application.
• Shall possess the basic aptitudes for acquiring the skills needed for the occupation.
• Shall be physically capable of performing the essential functions of the trade without endangering
themselves or fellow workers.
A completed application must be returned within 60 days of the date of the application, to receive an interview.
If you are accepted into the Apprenticeship program you will be required to attend your first year of training at the Carpenters Training Center in Fairbanks beginning in May and lasting approximately (4)weeks.
• Classes are held Monday through Thursday 7:00am--4:30 pm.
• Students are not paid while in class.
• Tuition of $750.00 will be due the first day of class. Tuition will cover books, first year tools and other items.
• Students will be required to bring work clothing including gloves, steel-toed work boots and rain gear.
Upon completion of a four-weeks of training. Students will be placed to work as an "Apprentice Carpenter", with various union construction companies in the Fairbanks and surrounding areas. Starting wages are around $19 per hour. For every 900 hours that an apprentice carpenter works. They will receive a 5% pay increase.
During in the next 3 years apprentices will continue to come to class during the winter months for training, lasting approximately 7 weeks each year, then returning to work, when the work is available. Apprentice Carpenters must complete the four years of schooling (1080 hours total) and work between 6000 to 8000 hours on the job to complete the apprenticeship program and received their journeyman certificate. It normally takes about five (5) years to complete the program.